Thursday, May 3, 2012

Using ROS (Robot Operating System) Fuerte with the Arduino

I decided to upgrade to the new ROS installation called Fuerte. The installation instructions are given on the wiki: http://ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Installation/OSX/Homebrew/Source. This was a little bit of a challenge as I have been using macports. So I decided to try out homebrew. I decided to do this as that is what is recommended for OpenCV so I figured I would have to do this sooner or later.

I moved my macports installation temporarily to my home directory (sudo mv /opt/local ~/macports). Then I followed the instructions exactly as shown on the installation page (linked above). I only really ran into one problem with the installation. That was with the step:


brew install ros/fuerte/swig-wx


for some reason, my installation did not like the hyphen in the swig formula. I got this error:
swig-wx/usr/local/Library/Taps/ros-fuerte/swig-wx.rb:4: syntax error
To fix the problem, I first had to rename the directory:
cd /usr/local/Library/Taps/ros-fuerte/
mv swig-wx.rb swigwx.rb 
The I edited the file:
vi /usr/local/Library/Taps/ros-fuerte/swigwx.rb
and removed the hyphen from the Swig-wx class.  Then I repeated the homebrew install (this time without the hyphen):
brew install ros/fuerte/swigwx
The formula was still not right, so I had to do a manual install:
cd /Library/Caches/Homebrew/swigwx--git
./configure
make
make install
I then resumed the ros installation process. Everything else worked fine. Here is my /usr/local/Library/Taps/ros-fuerte/swig-wx.rb  file:

require 'formula' class SwigWx < Formula 
   homepage 'http://www.swig.org' 
   url 'git://github.com/wg-debs/swig-wx.git', {:using => :git, :tag => 'upstream/1.3.29'} 
   
   def install 
     ENV.universal_binary 
     system "./configure" 
     system "make" 
     system "make install" 
   end 
 end

2 comments: